Perspective: Side view
Visual: 2D scrolling
Gameplay: Arcade, Shooter
Vehicular: Space flight
Setting: Sci-fi / futuristic
Published by: Irem Corp.
Developed by: Irem Corp.
Platforms: Arcade Machine, Super Nintendo (SNES)
The evil Bydo empire has returned, this time with a more ferocious ruler, called Womb, who after taking over some exoplanets is intent on conquering the Milky Way and other galaxies with the weapons at his disposal. But also the spaceship that will oppose it is no less: the R-9 battleship has been updated (now called R-9C War-Head), superpowered with weapons, including new support Forces and above all a new devastating Beam-charged laser.
The game consists of six levels, all of which must be completed a second time if you want to see the true ending. Here too, as in the previous title, there are no hit points, so a life will be lost in case of collision with enemies, with their bullets and with the walls.
The battle between Good and Evil winds up to the clash with Womb, whose appearance is similar to that of a huge crab. When he appears, it is revealed that he has captured four land spacecraft; these, after their release, will go to support the R-9C in the fight against the boss. Although male, Womb is endowed with a placenta, where there are two clones of his predecessor emperor - that is Bydo, the final boss of R-Type - at the embryonic stage: destroying these, the R-9C will at the same time bring about the end of Womb. Chain explosions follow, but the R-9C manages to escape along with three other spacecraft.
In addition to the Beam, with two power levels, and the normal laser beams, collecting the colored Pod Force you have different types of shots:
- Blue Pod: Blue laser beam that bounces off walls and ceilings twice before running out, very useful in tight and tight spaces.
- Green Pod: Self-seeking triple orange laser beam, powerful enough.
- Yellow Pod: double beam of energy with high and low direction, where it impacts it follows the direction of the plane, mowing down the enemies it encounters.
- White Pod: oversized bullets that explode nearby creating damage even with the explosion. The bullets have little range.
- Red Pod: The classic R-Type shot with crossed rotating blue / red beams, is also here the most powerful weapon. If you have a support pod it will fire too.
- Pod "M" Blue: If picked up, the R-9C spacecraft will drop cluster bombs.
- Pod "M" Red: will donate a pair of auto-seeking missiles.
- Pod "S": R-9C spaceship speed increased.
- Support Pod: In single over and double over and under the R-9C, it has protection and additional firing functions if you are equipped with the red pod.
Levels and bosses
- Ruins - Boss: Subatomic
- The Cave - Boss: Barakus
- Gigantic Warship - Boss: Corvette
- Resource Acquistion Area - Boss: Rios
- Additional Base - Boss: Blender
- Bydo Empire - Boss: Womb