Perspective: Side view
Visual: 2D scrolling
Gameplay: Arcade, Platform
Published by: Nintendo of America Inc.
Developed by: Nintendo R&D1
Platform: Game Boy Color (GBC)
One morning, a trio of suspicious pirates, led by Captain Syrup, enter Wario's castle. They search for his treasures and end up finding and stealing them, as well as flooding the castle and waking Wario with an alarm clock. Wario wakes up and realizes that his treasures are missing, so he goes in search of them, embarking on an adventure that is not going to be easy for him.
- A: Jump. Confirm
- B: Attack. Cancel. Throw enemies and objects. Swim faster.
- Up Arrow: Prepare for a high jump. Enter through a door.
- Down Arrow: Crouch. Make the drop while Wario is in the air. Start rolling down a ramp.
- Left and Right Arrow: Move Sideways.
- Start: Pause.
- Select: Save menu.
- Wario Crushed: Certain enemies can crush Wario. Advantages: Can go through tight spots and glide through the air.
- Fat Wario: Cooks can throw cakes at Wario to make him fat. Advantages: It can destroy some blocks thanks to its weight and it becomes immune to any attack. Disadvantages: Wario is slower and his jump decreases.
- Burned Wario: There are some rats that can burn Wario. Advantages: You can destroy certain blocks. Disadvantages: You cannot stop moving for a certain time.
- Drunk Wario: If a penguin throws beer at him, it makes Wario drunk. Advantages: If the player makes Wario burp gas from his mouth and hit an enemy, he eliminates it.
- Zombie Wario: Some ghosts or zombies transform the character into a zombie. Advantages: Can pass through floors and becomes immune to any attack. Disadvantages: Cannot jump.
- Bloated Wario: There are some bees, in addition to other elements of the game, that can make Wario swell and start to fly upwards. Advantages: Can reach inaccessible places. Disadvantages: Only hitting a surface from above can the effect be stopped.
- Mini Wario: Sometimes a wizard can turn Wario into a dwarf. Advantages: You can run faster and jump more.
- Bouncing Wario: Apes can bounce Wario if he is hit with their hammers. Advantages: Can reach very high places.
- Frozen Wario: If Wario is frozen, he will slide out until he collides with something.
- At the end of the game for any chapter, the remaining treasures to be obtained and the treasure map that shows the pieces collected in the bonuses appears as the main screen.
- To access a secret chapter in the first chapter, Wario must be left asleep until the level completion screen comes out.
- When you get all the pieces of the map, another box called Game will open at the end of the map, which is the Flagman D-D game from Game & Watch, but with Wario's characters. It is played using the directional buttons for the numbers 1 to 4 and the B and A as buttons 5 and 6 respectively.
- In this game Wario is immortal, just like in Wario Land 3.