Genre: Racing / driving, Simulation
Perspective: 1st-person, Behind view
Vehicular: Automobile, Track racing, Vehicle simulator
Published by: Electronic Arts
Developed by: Press Start Inc
Platform: PlayStation (PSX, PS1)
Another gift for PlayStation owners - car racing enthusiasts: an addicting game with a great control system! In Andretti Racing you can go to the start both in the class of conventional racing cars (Stock Car Racing) and in the Indikar (analogue of Formula 1). You can also choose one of 4 real tracks, or 12 fantastic ones. Do not forget to adjust the wheels, gearbox and fenders before signaling the starting flag. While in Exhibition Mode you run a regular race, in Career mode you can (and should) collect points during the season, and then accept offers from the best teams to participate in their composition next season. In between the seasons, you are entertained by video stories, from which you can learn a lot of useful things.
Both types of cars run flawlessly. The system is responsive to any improvements you make to the machine. With the directional key, you can even control how “cool” you get into turns. In racing cars, you can have fun with hustling and other "power techniques" on the track, but the Indikar race is pure competition, a combination of strategy and driving skills. It is necessary to steer very carefully, to enter the turns at the right speed in time, to precisely choose the moments for the pit stops.
True, in terms of graphics, Andretti Racing does not make enough of the capabilities of the PlayStation. The tracks and everything that is done around them looks good, but the cars could look more interesting.
- It may seem strange now, but in August 1997, the authoritative magazine Electronic Gaming Monthly named Andretti Racing one of the ten best games of all time (PlayStation version).
- The four racing tracks of the Andretti Racing game are real, the other 12 are designed by the Andretti family personally. (Mario Andretti, Michael Andretti, Jeff Andretti) *
* Mario Andretti is an American racing driver of Italian origin, world champion in Formula 1. The name Mario Andretti in the US is perceived as synonymous with speed.
- If you are at the end of the column, then try to get into the pit stop before the others, and then use the free track when others make a stop.
- Remember to slow down before entering a turn and accelerate immediately after passing it. And on long straight sections of the track, shift to higher gears more often to gain maximum speed. It is corny, but many forget that they achieve victory not only by speed, but also by driving technique.
- In races on ordinary cars (stock cars) try to push rivals onto the walls, catching up with them from behind, or pushing them off the track at turns (this is not forbidden).
- Indikars - cars are faster and more fragile. Pay more attention to following the turns along the optimal trajectories.
- On smooth turns, do not overload the steering wheel; use the “light turn” technique (while turning, press and hold Up.
- If you have won the Pole-Position in qualification, then before the race, go back to setting parameters (setup) of your car.
To get an extra car, pause during the race and go to the Race Strategy option. Now press and hold L1 + L2 + R1 + R2 + X + Circle - and the desired option will appear on the screen.
Different coloring of cars
Start a new race and select the Begin Career option. Enter the following passwords on the Register screen:
- a) For stock cars - Go Bears!
- b) For Formula 1 cars - Go Bruins!
Then, on the car selection screen, all cars will have a different color and advertising inscriptions.
- Option 1. During the race, pause (Start). Then move the cursor to “Race Statistics”. Now press L1 + L2 + R1 + R2 + X + Circle + Select. A secret “Car Edition Menu” will appear, and you can change fuel consumption, change tires, and so on. Note that some parameters can be reduced to zero and even made negative. For fun's sake, make gravity negative!
- Option 2. In Race Statistics, hold Circle and press X.