Gameplay: Arcade, Shooter
Setting: Sci-fi / futuristic
Published by: Interplay Entertainment Corp.
Developed by: High Voltage Software
Platform: PlayStation (PSX, PS1)
Tempest X3, the version for the Sony PlayStation, was released in 1996 and had updated graphics and sound design. However, Jeff Minter also discovered changes in the gameplay, which he wrote about on Usenet:
- A.I. Droid follows the player instead of acting autonomously; amplification of the Mega Droid corrects the situation, but it takes too much time to get it;
- Pulsars move slowly at the top of the cobweb if they can reach it, instead of electrifying the entire upper edge completely;
- Particle Laser does not differ in efficiency in the destruction of spikes from a conventional laser, in the original version he did it faster;
- Several impassable, "gag", cobwebs from the game removed.
- If you enter the names "YIFF!" Or "H_V_S" on the top line of the high score table, the secret mode is activated, allowing you to select the original game. However, in this mode, glasses are not saved, music is muffled (representing the digitized sound from the original), and Particle Laser’s effectiveness against spikes is still not restored.
- Tempest X3 supports PlayStation Mouse, Nyco Trackball and neGcon controllers.
- Tempest X3 (i.e. the version for the PlayStation) is recognized as the most beautiful in execution due to the use of polygonal graphics.
New Modes (Secret Games)
The proposed trick gives you access to the Tempest 2000 and Tempest Plus games. Finish the game in first place with a good score and enter HVS (H_V_S) as your name. On the next Entry screen, enter the YIFF! Take a look now at the main menu. At your disposal - new game modes! Make sure you can save them to an additional memory card. Then they will always be at your service.
Play until you reach the top line in the High Score table. To get there, you need to score 500,000 points! Now, in addition to the usual three-letter initials, you need to enter a five-letter one. Enter H_V_S and your letters in the empty spaces. Save the game to the memory card. Now you have access to two new game modes: "Tempest Plus" and "Tempest 2000".
To activate the following codes, at any time in the game, press and hold L1 + R1 + Up + Left + Triangle + Circle + Start + Select. If everything is done correctly, you will hear a loud screeching sound: the master code is entered. After that, you can enter the following codes during the game.
Now at any time, when you want to slip through the level, press L1 + L2 + R1 + R2. You will jump to the next level, as if no one is getting under your feet. However, the easiest way to do this trick is at the very beginning of the level, before the enemies appear.
Hold R1 and press L1, then burn the Superzapper. You will advance to the next stage immediately.
Hold L2 + R1 + Triangle + X and press Up. See the fancy streaks of light on the screen. Now there is the opportunity to exercise the brain in the next game.
Hold L2 + R1 + Triangle + X and press Right. The music will change, MOD Music will sound when you are in the next stage.
Hold L2 + R1 + Triangle + X and press Down. Hear "Attack!" Now go through the current stage without losing lives and not using the skip level trick. The first Power-Up gives you A.I. Droid
Hold L2 + R1 + Triangle + X and press Left. The music will change, Remix Music will sound when you are in the next stage.
On the Three-Character High Score screen, enter “GAY” as your initials. In the background of the “High Score” screen, the color changes and a pink rotating triangle appears.