Perspective: Side view
Visual: 2D scrolling
Art: Anime / Manga
Published by: SNK of America
Developed by: SNK Corporation
This is the direct sequel to The Last Blade, which improves gameplay, graphics and adds new fighters.
It takes place six months after the events of The Last Blade, in 1864, still in full Bakumatsu. Kagami Shinnosuke the misanthrope has finally achieved his evil plan to open the door of hell to purify the world of humanity. Although defeated by Kaede and his invocation of Seiryu, he has nevertheless succeeded in his plan: the door of hell is still open and two evil spirits have entered the earth. Heroes must now not only find how to close the cursed portal but also defeat these two spirits.
It resumes globally that of the first episode: four buttons (two to attack the sword, one for kicks, one to counter) and two game modes (power or speed). Only a few small changes have been made to the gameplay, mainly at the level of the mug which is now by combining the two buttons and against foot.
With The King of Fighters '98: The Slugfest and Garou: Mark of the Wolves, The Last Blade 2 is the game that corresponds to the creative peak of SNK, the Neo-Geo is technically pushed to its limits, the game is beautiful and has a very elaborate zoom system. The gameplay benefits fully from the accumulated experience of this fighting game specialist, the game is still played and tournaments continue to be held in Japan.
- Shinnosuke Kagami: The terrible misanthrope vanquished by Kaede in the first episode, precipitated in hell he was quickly reincarnated thanks to the opening of the portal. Possessor of one of the guards, Suzaku, he enjoys his firepower.
- Setsuna: Nicknamed "the black soul" it is an infernal spirit that has managed to break into the world, his style is quite macabre.
- Hibiki Takane: A girl who is a practitioner of Iaidō, it is perhaps the best known of the characters of the game in the West thanks to its appearance in Capcom vs. SNK 2.
- Kaori Sanada: Kojiroh Sanada's little sister, who died in the first episode, she takes her identity to investigate the reasons for her death. She has a style close to her brother.
- Musashi Akatsuki: Hidden character from the Dreamcast and Neo-Geo CD versions he is a powerful swordsman inspired by Miyamoto Musashi.
- Hagure Hitogata: A funny hidden character, it is a spirit that can be invoked by Akari at the beginning of the match and that automatically turns it into a character similar to the opponent, mirror match insured.
- Kouryu: The last boss, one of two spirits who managed to break into the world of the living. Reincarnation of Gaisei, he is devoured by the ambition to recover the power of the Four Animals.